A Pensacola man was charged Thursday in connection with the April 17 shootings that resulted in the deaths of eight horses and five dogs in Beulah.

Craig M. Smith, 24, faces five felony counts of cruelty to animals resulting in a cruel death and eight felony counts of killing or abusing horses, the Escambia County Sheriff's Office reported.

He also is charged with one count of firearm use during a felony and two felony counts of armed trespassing.

"This is one of the most horrible cases we've seen around here in a long time," Sheriff Ron McNesby said. "We're glad it has come to a close."

McNesby said a six-investigator team used witness statements and physical evidence to connect Smith to the crime scene at Desmond Davis' 113-acre property near Frank Reeder and Jay roads.

The sheriff said there was no indication that Smith had accomplices. Smith's motive is unknown, McNesby said.

Smith already was in Escambia County Jail on Thursday after he was charged Monday with firearm possession by a convicted felon. The .22-caliber handgun that led to his arrest Monday was linked to shell casings found at the property.

His bond has been increased from $250,000 to $500,000.

If convicted and given the maximum sentence, Smith could receive 15 years in prison for each case of horse killing, five years for each case of dog shooting, five years for the one count of firearm possession during a felony, and five years each for the two counts of armed trespassing.

Linda Lambert, president of Panhandle Equine Rescue, said the arrest brings release to a restless animal-rights community.

"We've had call after call from owners concerned for their own animals," she said. "Now, Beulah can rest a little easier at night."

Lambert said her organization hopes to see the maximum penalty handed down.

"I feel sorry for him because he must be very tormented," she said. "But I'm also praying he will get the maximum sentence. These animals surrendered their lives, and there are laws to protect them."

Shortly after the shooting, crime scene technicians collected several .22-caliber shell casings near the kennels where four of the dogs were shot in the head. They also retrieved three bullets from one of the horses.

After receiving a Crime Stoppers tip, investigator James O'Hara interviewed Smith, who confessed to shooting rabbits on Davis' property with a .22-caliber handgun the night of the incident, according to an arrest report.

Smith said he then went to his nearby home to get a shotgun and a flashlight and returned to the property. He said he did not approach the dogs or horses and could not remember anything else about being on the property.

Smith said after several family members brought up the case, he hid the guns out of fear of getting into trouble.

A ballistics comparison by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement confirmed the shell casings from the scene were from Smith's handgun.

O'Hara said an overwhelming amount of community support helped investigators solve the case.

"We had more than 100 tips," he said. "We tried to return every phone call. I have not seen people come together this much."