[RC] Diablo's Pistoleros & nail in hoof advice needed - Sherman

Can anyone tell me if pads are needed for the Diablo's Pistoleros ride? We condition all year without pads riding from the Auburn Overlook to Cool, Driver's Flat to Foresthill, so are accustomed to some rocky trails, but I just don't want to get caught really needing padding & not having it, also don't want to pad if not needed. I guess I could just carry a pair of oversized easyboots to slip on over the shoes?

I had to do that today when my daughter's mare stepped on a nail that penetrated the frog. It bled a bit when I pulled the nail out, we booted and went back to the trailer, no lameness detected. I soaked with betadine & packed with same & rebooted. Anything else I should do to avoid infection? Maybe preventive antibiotics? My daughter, Tara, is in Poland attending Odyssey of the Mind's Eurofestival and I don't want her to come home to a lame horse.....

Thanks,
Kathy