RE: [RC] stocking up? - heidi

Lysane, this is pretty common with the sort of injury you describe.  Blood is forced into the foot via high pressure arteries that run along the bones, but the return system is low-pressure and has contributions from the small veins and lymphatics that are right under the skin.  When these are compromised, it takes them a lot longer to form new return channels than it does for the surface to heal, and meanwhile, there is often a fluid buildup below the injury.

Exercise will help to drive the return of the fluids, but when the horse isn't active, there will still be a buildup.

This will usually diminish in time, although sometimes it never does become completely normal.  But it doesn't seem to be any bother to the horse.

Go ahead and go to your CTR if all else seems well, and just let the vets know that she had that sort of an injury.  If they are worth their salt, they will understand.

Heidi

Hi,

Awhile back I had mentioned that my mare had gone through a fence and had scraped alot of fur and skin off her back legs. Well, things are going well and she is almost scab free. Most of the fur has grown back in too. BUT her left hind leg seems to have stayed a little more stocked up (for lack of a better word/description). It is not hot, sore and she is not lame. Feels like a windpuff, except it is going higher up the leg. The tendon running down the back of the leg looks fine as do all of the joints. Its more on the outside of the leg between the cannon bone and tendon. Its not really noticeable except that I don't see the ligament(?) that runs down the outside of the leg and is kind of visible usually standing out as much on that leg. The filling goes away once we have been riding. She is on pasture all day and comes in at night.

Any ideas?  I'm going to a ctr in two few weeks and I know I will probably get asked about it.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=