[RC] American River Classic -- Thanks Sandy Holder and Klentoses! - Beverley H. Kane, MD

I am sitting here stiff, blistered, scratched, burned, sweat rashed in my
(ahem) intergluteal sulcus *and* exhilarated from having completed the
American River 50, which included 15 mi on the Tevis Trail. It was only my
2nd 50 and it was one of the hardest things I ever did--harder than
marathons, harder than med school.
 My 1st 50 took 7 hours (6 of ride time)--this one took 11!!!

This is another if-I-can-do-it-you-can-do-it incentive for anyone
considering a 50, as I rode as Sandy Holder's "Senior Junior." Originally I
was -maybe- going to do the 30, if a mentor could be found; then Sandy
called a couple of days before the Ride and asked if I wanted to do the 50!

The stats escape me (except that 2 mules won the 50--one being Too Tall)--RM
will no doubt post--and Nick Warhol has promised one of his famous,
colorful, detailed, isn't-it-just-like-being-there ride reports.
(Nick--don't forget to mention all the waterfalls, Canada geese, huge yellow
irises along the lake, breathtaking views 2,000 feet above the river, and
the killer hill after (I am not making this up) the Cardiac Bypass Trail.)

My experience was of a lovely summer day, great camaraderie, and gorgeous,
mostly forested terrain that was, to this newbie, unbelievably challenging--
steep, rocky, muddy, boggy, twisty, slippery, tricky, hot, and precarious in
many places. (This was also my 1st 50 in my Barefoot Cheyenne, which
remained comfortable, if a bit slippy w/ a mohair girth, thruout. What I
-don't- have is any saddle-related soreness.)

A million and 50 heartfelt thanks to Sandy and Star and his full brother,
Lucky, who took me through. Sandy and Star forfeited a definite top ten and
possibly a win/BC while I sorted out tack issues, hydration issues, and
various other newbie issues.
   Sandy's daughter, Katie, gets it for World's Best Crew cum
Jewish-Italian mother--"Eat, eat, eat! Drink!"

Thanks to ride managers Paul and Erin Klentos, who for the first time took
over America's longest standing endurance ride, saving it from extinction,
replacing (how many times?) the ribbons that had been stolen by trail
bandits, serving up a nifty dinner Friday, and being all-around good natured
and happy tone-setting. You are forgiven for less than full disclosure of
the difficulties of the trail--at least I slept well after the ride meeting.
And you seemed genuinely glad to get me off the MIA list, which I had
mysteriously gotten on, even after following protocol w/ giving my # & card
thingy to the in-timer, out-timer, pulse-taker, vet scribe, rump patter,
water sprayer, cheerleaders et al.

Thanks Melissa Ribley, Michelle Rousch, Susan McCarthy (?), and (well known
endurance vet) Bob and all the ride volunteers (been there, done that) for
cheerfully standing out there in the heat all day.

Thanks Lucky and Dick Carter!

50s are like having babies--you soon forget how much it hurt and want to do
it again.

Beverley