[RC] injecting hocks and rehab protocol - Boogeyrider

There are conflicting rehabilitation programs out there that determine the success of hock injections.  I have had my anglo arab injected since 2000, due to DJD that we attribute to starting this horse in real work too soon (at age 3-4).  He is now 18 and with the injections, stronger than ever!  He gets them twice a year, nov and May.  His career started with dressage at 3-4, I bought him at 6, we continued with the dressage to 3rd level when he was 10. All along I have been riding him long distances to clear his brain....We evented for several years, the 3 ft walls got too tough for him so that's when we started the hock injections.  The rehab protocol by that vet was to lay him up for 3 dyas, then just ride him easy for two weeks, then back to normal activity.  I did see marked results, and when activity got heavy, did the legend inj.  I started to drive him for more moderate activity, up and down hills too, to really work the hocks but not with the weight of a rider.  This really made a difference in his overall body condition.  Two years ago I switched vets, following a referral.  This vets rehab protocol is drastically different and I have seen fantastic results!  He is rested for 3 days, then put into an aggressive sprint and hill work regime, increasing the load each day for the two weeks!  It is critical to get the work in while the HA is fresh to remove all the adhesions in the joint capsule.  Anyone in so cal that wants this vets name, email me!

Vicky Vaughan