RE: [RC] Riding alone... - Sharon Levasseur

Boy, I'm glad I didn't try to reply to this topic, Mike just said everything I
would have said MUCH BETTER than I would have said it.

-Sharon L. (don't know about the men/women risk thing though)

Quoting Mike Sherrell <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Horses' herd instinct makes them very attentive to other horses, and humans
distract each other too. So riding alone is the best way to teach a horse,
to increase its tendency to pay attention to you, and to learn yourself.
This remains true for many years, until you and the horse have finally come
to the point where there is no more possibility of improvement. Beyond that,
I find riding alone uniquely satisfying because I never have to compromise
my riding style nor my horse's preferred way of going to accommodate
another's, so I feel unrestrained. I enjoy socializing less than other
people, though. As far as getting hurt alone, I deal with that with a
combination of having a cell phone, accepting the risk as a cost of the
reward (after all, every time you drive you accept the risk of a crash for
the reward of the mall at the other end of the drive), and the proposition
that being killed on a horse might be the best way to go. I think maybe men
can submerge, compartimentalize or ignore risk easier than women, though.

Regards,

Mike Sherrell