[RC] Securing Horses... - Jonni

Truman posted: >>>But I've seen a horse that laid down tied to a trailer,
ended up with his leg under and if he tried to get up would have probably
broken his leg.<<<

And I've seen horses get cast in stalls and corrals at their homes that
needed human assistance to get up, or they too could have injured themselves
badly. I had one roll and cast himself with a front and hind leg on his "up"
side through the 2nd and 3rd rail of the corral, and the legs next to the
ground under the first rail. All legs were through up to knees and hocks.
Corral was a mare motel that could not be disassembled to pull panel off to
get horse out. I was home alone, and had to tie his head down to the ground
rail so he could not lift neck and try to get up as I attached ropes to legs
to fold and bend them out of rail, and actually had my old do everything
gelding pull him over and out by using his driving harness, long ropes, and
safety release's to undo as horse was rolled and allowed to get up. Thank
goodness he was a quiet Quarter Horse, and he did not panic, as he too could
have broke legs.

Yep, just owning them is a risk. Each of us has to make decisions on what
containment at a ride we feel is the least risk for our horses. And hope
that if that was NOT the best choice, it does not include someone else's
horses too.

Jonni (who had tied to the side of the trailer for 20+ years, but now has
Hi-Ties)