RE: [RC] Was Securing Horses ... now "Safety Pen" Corral Review - Sharon Levasseur

A while back I posted that I was buying a “Safety Pen” from www.ciwtrailers.com/safetypen.htm and a lot of folks wrote to ask for follow-up comments after I’d used it.  I used it over the weekend and LOVE IT!  Set it up alone in something like 3-5 minutes.  I’d ordered the electric wire option so he wasn’t even tempted to put his head underneath for more grass.  It’s too tall for him to reach over but there’s electric at the top too just in case.  I didn’t bother using the guywire/spikes on the corner posts, there was something like 10” of post sunk into very solid ground and I just didn’t feel the extra effort was warranted.

There were a bunch of folks at my campsite admiring it, and all of them said it looked VERY VERY SAFE.  I agree... that’s why I bought it.

http://www.zegifts.com/photos/hiddenbrook2.jpg

The corral could have been a lot larger but for a first time effort I didn't want to push my luck. It seems to me that the really long spans of fence might be tough to keep tight. Besides, with only one horse I didn't need any more room than that!  I’m sure if you had two well-behaved pasture-mates you could use one corral for both horses... there’s 65’ of fence!

http://www.zegifts.com/photos/hiddenbrook4.jpg

In the above photo you can see how I used the trailer's own tailgate as the gate into the corral. The endpost of the corral had a baling twine loop at both the top and the bottom, and the trailer tailgate had matching loops which were connected with double-ended snaps.  (I rigged the baling twine and snaps myself.)

http://www.zegifts.com/photos/hiddenbrook5.jpg

The above photo shows the tailgate gate from a different angle. I took it at 2am when I couldn't sleep because of all the munching sounds.  One thing Z does very well is EAT!

I didn’t get any pictures of the takedown process but that’s easy too.  The fence’s crank case has hinges to lay down horizontally so you can roll the corral into it easier.

In case anyone is wondering, the current price is $700... which I think is not much more than some of the more popular metal corrals?

-Sharon Levasseur, Maine

PS: For wide trailers there is a rear-mount option.  And for wide trailers with ramps there is a swing-away rear-mount option.  J