[RC] Need opinion on what to do about lame horse-off topic - agilbxr

Ok, I am currently managing a small boarding facility, and am still VERY new at it.  So I need to see what you guys think about our little situation.

We have an older (16-17 yr old) paint gelding that has been lame on the front leg for 4 months or so.  Head bobbing at a walk type of lame.  The owner doesn't pay the horse any attention and doesn't show for about 2-3 weeks at a time, then will come out and ride the lame horse...sometimes double....out for 3-4 hours at a time on the trail.   It started about 4 months ago when she took him out with our neighbors for about 4 hours, with him extremely unfit, and he came home lame.   Very lame.  (the neighbors are well known for the "run 'em till they quit" type of riding).  He starts to get a little better, then she rides again.

I have had the vet out twice for my horses, and have called her both times to see if she wanted the vet to check him out to see why he's still lame.  Both times I was told "no", that'd she would see to it.  The horse has not been checked by the vet once.  She has the cheapest farrier she can find out to do his feet....I am not impressed by his work, and as far as I know, he hasn't even been told the horse is lame, so he has never even checked to see if it was an obvious foot problem.  The horse has no swelling in that leg...I am kind of suspicious of a shoulder problem just cause of the way he moves...but I'm no expert.

As the boarding barn, is there anything we can do to at least force her to have a vet check this horse?  With dogs I know I can call the humane society is someone is withholding vet care, but with horses around here, I'm not so sure. I am in North Florida.

And for future boarders, is there something that we can write into the boarding agreement to prevent this from happening again.  I about cry every time I see her out there riding this poor horse, because he is a sweetheart, and is obviously hurting.

Apache thanks you for any assistance you can give me....

Juli and the Herd
Alpine (I'm not lame no more! I get to go now.  Yay!)
Spot (My legs have never been lame, but sometimes mom says my brain is)
Merlin (huh? I like food....)