Re: [RC] hunt whips/crackers - Milinda Ellis

Hey, Jackie C. and all others curious about hunt
whips!

I HATE sneaky dogs, probably as much as I hate sneaky
people!!!

I've gotten other private emails from folks asking
about sources for hunt whips and how to assemble them.
I'm going to take pictures tomorrow, showing a
disassembled hunt whip (it actually comes in three
parts) and then how to attach all the pieces.  Two
ladies asked me to email the pictures.  I'll send them
on to whomever asks.  Just don't clog the list by
posting it on Ridecamp.  Besides, I might overlook the
message.

I suspect my assembly instructions are too confusing
(not because it is difficult to assemble one, but I
probably don't do a very good job of explaining).

For the actual 'whip' (which is only the handle),
phone Libertyville Saddle Shop.  They do not show
these in their catalog (that I've ever seen).  Their
prices are cheap enough that you won't have a heart
attack if you lose the whip or your horse steps on it
and breaks it (both of which I've done more than
once...).  The whips come in "mens" and
"ladies/childs" sizes (usually).  I have 'man hands'
(I wear a size 10 wedding ring and size 10 fencing
glove) so I got a men's whip.  Larger diameter and
more weight so it felt more comfortable for me.  It's
sort of like picking out a hammer or a bowling ball.
You want the right weight or it just won't work for
you.

For hunt 'thongs' or 'lashes', I contacted Equiteric
up in Pennsylvania (their contact info is at
www.horseloverz.com).  To get the right length for
your horse, sit mounted and extend your arm parallel
to the ground.  The end of the lash (without the
cracker on it) should almost touch the ground.  A lash
that's too short won't do any good -- you won't be
able to reach what you need to hit!  A lash that's too
long will get tangled up in stuff (like your horse's
legs) or your horse might step on it and jerk the whip
out of your hand.

To make a 'cracker,' take about two feet of nylon
string (the kind most of us have lying in a kitchen
drawer...).  Double the string by placing the cut ends
together.  About two inches above the cut ends, tie a
knot -- just like you would knot your thread when
hand-sewing fabric with a double thread.  Tie another
knot (same kind) 1/3 to 1/2 way between the first knot
and the doubled end.  Take the doubled end, run it
through the braided loop at the end of the lash, and
then thread the cut end of the string through that
loop (so it's looped on itself).

Clear as mud???

As I said, if you would rather see pictures (instead
of trying to figure out what the Hell I'm talking
about), please drop me an email.  I'm tired and
therefore, less coherent than usual.  ;-P

Milinda
Beargrass Cleveland Bays
Jewett, Texas

--- Jackie Caudill <jacaudill@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'd love to know where to get/make these-we
regularly face off & chase dogs
on training rides & this might keep them from coming
back out. A couple of
Rhodesian ridgebacks snuck up behind our horses &
tried to hamstring my
friend's horse-luckily they were young & my horse &
I were intimidating
enough to chase them off that time, but the
whip/cracker would be great.
Thanks,
Jackie

http://mail.yahoo.com