[RC] Pacing Anxiously - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Howard Bramhall howard9732@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If he's physically fine, heart rate, respiration, temp, blood flow (gums), etc.
(all the vet checks checks) I wouldn't worry about it too much.  I have one
horse who paces in his stall quite a bit of the time when he's not eating.  He
was bred for  Arab racing, and, the funny thing is, he always paces to his
left, in a counter clockwise rotation (direction for the race track). His name
is Awesome and he truly is.

Your horse might be changing cause he just did his first 50 and he's got the
bug to run some more.  Lucky you.  He's a keeper.

Awesome does have one bad habit; he will chew on certain woods, just enough to
piss you off.  I did use a different wood up in Tennessee, in our new barn,
hemlock, and, he doesn't chew up there, but, he definitely still paces.  Churns
up the Tennessee clay and horse manure into some sort of magical fertilizer,
instantly ready for use on them thar hills.

Another lesson shared by your friendly Tennessee Tornado trackin wannabe
Hillbilly.

me.

cya,
Howard

-------
My horse finished his first 50 this last weekend.  We did a 30 in October.  What
I am concerned about is his behavior AFTER the ride.  A few hours after both
rides he started pacing in his corral.  I took him out to walk and he seemed
anxious. I took him up to the vet.  His gut sounds were normal.

Before both rides he was eating and drinking and pretty much acting calm.  The
pacing only happened after both rides.  I electrolyted during both rides and he
came out with high vet scores.

Any ideas?

-Stacy