[RC] another round bale question - Marlene Moss

We have access to some beautiful hay in round bales for $75 a ton (family friend).  We got 2 bales as a test, because I knew it would not work well in our situation, which is a boarding facility with primarily stalls and runs for the boarded horses.  Our horses are all together in a pasture, so we can feed the round bales easily to them, but at that price, I sure would like to find a way to easily feed it to the stalled horses.

The difficulty of course, is carrying loose hay around and making sure that you feed enough.

I heard that some people use a “hay saw” to cut up the round bales for distributed feeding.  Has anyone done anything like this and can it make this a workable situation?  We use a gator to take the hay around, but it takes 4 trips to do what could be done with one and regular small bales.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

Saddle Fitting - www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com