RE: [RC] Is my horse off? When vet opinions differ... - Alisanne Steele

<<<<<If you're not sure, give them the darned completion.>

<The point of "fit to continue" was to protect the horses, not to cut down>

<on the number of finishers.  My favorite vets are the ones who look>

<carefully as the horse trots away, see him give a good step on each leg,>

<and immediately turn their back to fill out the card. You know they have>

<had to pull someone they didn't want to pull at the finish before and>

<they want to do their job, but not pull if they don't have to.>>>>>

It seams to me that the point of “fit to continue” and the role of a Vet before/during/after any ride is to advocate for the horse and prevent additional harm/injury when he sees something amiss.  If a Vet sees something “off” he has an obligation to inform the owner/rider, even at the END of a ride, regardless if it costs a completion. An informed owner can better watch out for possible issues, and work to avoid repeating or exacerbating the “off” condition.

If the Vet simply sends you on your way with a completion and without potentially important information, he is not serving the horse for whom he is supposed to advocate.  If the Vet is asked about his comment/opinion in regards to the “off” condition by a concerned rider/owner, a simple, brief, explanation is in order, not an abrupt, dismissing, take your completion and go.

I understand that the Vets can be inundated with questions from a large number of riders at any given event, and I understand they are not there to be at our beck and call, however in their capacity as advocate, and when they comment on the fitness (to continue) of a horse, I truly believe that they have an obligation to provide at least minimal answers to the rider’s/owner’s questions.

I expect that the majority (hopefully the large majority) of riders/owners would rather have information pertinent to the health/fitness of their horse than a completion marked with an asterisk.

JMHO.

Alisanne Steele & “Taz”