[RC] Saddle Opinions - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Karen Nelson knelson4299@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sarah- I have had great work from this company for over 20 years.  I don't know
how far away from them you are and what methods you have used to get a "saddle
fit".  I have used an "architect's curve"- available at most large office
supply stores.  They are a closer measurement of the withers and the back, IMO,
than the "clothes hanger" method.  They cost about $5, and are totally
reusable.  Malleable soft material, surrounding a "bead chain", I believe.
I once had one saddle re-stuffed for a mare with a low back, and it was done
long distance, with the "curve" measurements, and about 12 photos taken from
alot of angles, along with other measurements.  I think I actually drew black
lines on her grey back, and gave some measurements there, also.  When the
saddle came back, it fit her great, and still does.
There is always another part of "saddle fitting".  If we start with a saddle on
a new, unfit, young or old horse, the horse will change dramatically as you are
in training.  The saddle won't change at the same pace, or you can "awl" the
Aussie saddles with the doe hair padding, covered by wool serge. You have to be
very careful and patient.  I use cornstarch I sift onto the horses back and
then carefully place the saddle, looking for non-transfer spots.  Sounds goofy,
but it seems to work, and cornstarch is finely ground, cheap, and definately
non-toxic to anything involved.
In 1987, I rode 7 different horses, 6 of which I borrowed, as my mare was
pregnant.  I finished every ride I started, and I didn't have any problems that
I know of with the horses being uncomfortable.  I rode Sierra Fadwah over 1400
miles in the older Wayne Walker I have. Check my ride record, if you wish at
AERC.  #4299.
If you want to yak on the phone, call me  775-577-4781   I have 4 of them-  2
made by Wayne Walker  and 2 made by Trevor James.  The leather is top notch,
and I am a brat about "cleaning" my saddles.  Once a year is the average for
me.  And, yes, they do get dirty...   Karen Nelson