Re: [RC] Bears - Jackie Causgrove

Carry a phosphorus flare with you when in bear country.  They are lightweight and sit in the back pocket of jeans without a problem.
When you lit it, don't look at it.  Between the smoke and the flames, it drives off bears better than a gun.
In 15 years at Katmai National Park, only flared 3 bears; never needed a gun (although there is one).

What may seem as unpredictable is usually normal bear behavior.  The 3 bears that were flared were 3 sub adult males.  They were trying to find their way in the order of things and test limits.  This is normal behavior.  However, to a human, this may not have a good outcome.  But it is still normal bear behavior.

Also for humans it is unusual that we find out what it is like to be on the other end of the food chain.
Now, ya know why horses run!!!

Jackie