RE: [RC] how do you teach horse to defend itself against dogs? - Tracey Lomax

Ed wrote:

ok,  i understand what ya'll are saying about teaching your horse to move forward and run over whatever is in the way, dogs included.   i will say it again though,  IF the dog that comes after you and your horse is a PIT BULL that has been trained to fight and attack,   all bets are off.   get the ELL out of there, ASAP, or you will have a fight on your hands.     cowboy ed

Um ….. how do you know if it’s a pit bull that’s been trained to fight and attack?  Or any dog that’s been trained to fight and attack??

I think running is possibly more dangerous in this situation, as if the dog gets on your heels, your horse could wind up running in a panic and you risk a fall.

JMO….doubt there’s any “this is the only safe way”, each has its risks and its advantages depending on the dog in question (and the horse in question and, probably, the rider in question).

On a lighter note, anyone wanna hear about my encounter with the “killer chihuauha” (yes, Dr Q, a REAL one!!!!)