Re: [RC] dog/horse/cattle attacks and using a whip as a deterrent - Milinda Ellis

Mornin', everybody!

I was 'caught' by two dobermans as a kid riding my
bicycle (headed home on my bike after playing at their
owners house all afternoon).  I wound up in the ER.
Amy, you were very very lucky!  I asked about those
dogs a couple of weeks after that happened, and found
out they were dead.  I asked my parents and they told
me the dogs 'died of distemper' (I actually knew what
that was at 8 years old) but now suspect those dogs
died of 'Daddy-temper!'

I strongly advocate the use of a whip when riding.
Yes, I have foxhunted too.  I actually did it on a
terribly whip-shy TWH mare who was aggressive toward
dogs.  We had to get over that so she wouldn't kill
hounds while we were in kennels but she figured out
that whip quickly too (I wouldn't hit her with it
intentionally but accidents happen on occasion and I
felt really bad!).  I rode as whipper-in several times
(more often during roading than on actual hunt days as
she wasn't "fast enough" according to one of the
Masters... who couldn't control his own horse, but I
digress).

Because few horses are "whip broke" (including
foxhunters) anymore, this also works with aggressive
horses and cattle who charge a fence as you ride by.
You're not doing anything to them but making a
startling noise. The same techniques apply to using a
bullwhip.  I make my all own 'crackers' so it does
sound like a gunshot when I crack it.  Matter of fact,
I was showing someone up at the church one day how to
crack a whip and someone down the street called the
cops to report 'shots fired at the Episcopal
church...'  That was kind of embarrassing.

My suggstion is that you get really proficient with a
whip -- using it accurately with either hand, before
you ever get near a horse with it!  You will pop
yourself a few times and when you do, you'll know why
I recommend this!  Get to where you can aim and "cut"
a weed or small branch with it -- meaning cutting the
one you're actually aiming at.  When you get that
proficient with it, then and only then should you try
it with a horse.  Again, crack it (from the ground)
from both sides of the horse, drag the lash all over
the horse (including across the face and between the
ears, tickle the legs, etc).  Work up to cracking it
loudly (you'll figure this out as you're practicing
your proficiency with it).  Whenever the horse decides
it's no big deal, THEN and ONLY THEN get on the horse
and start the process all over again -- or you might
wind up in the dirt!

I can drive (herd) my horses with the whip and they
know it means "make a hole" when I'm walking through
10 of them crowded together at the gate...  Yes, I've
had to roll hair on some with it, but they're still
not scared of it.  I can still crack it off their
backs, too.  I've used it to break up a few horse
fights, too (it's either that or a bullet -- there's
not a lot you can do when horses are fighting and
they're really serious).

I've broken up many a kennel fight with a hunt whip
too (NEVER stick your hand into a dogfight to grab a
collar!!!).  I have had dogs turn on me.  You can draw
blood with one of these so make sure that's really
what you intend to do.  It all depends on the force of
your swing and the arc you put into the lash.

I know of places to get hunt whips and lashes, or how
to easily make a nice, LOUD cracker for one if someone
is interested.  If so, email me at
beargrass_cleveland_bays@xxxxxxxxxx  I'm headed to
"Meanwhile" but will be back home and online after
Easter services.

Milinda Ellis
Beargrass Cleveland Bays
Jewett,Texas