[RC] Horse Slaughter - Donna Coss

The cost to euthanize a horse is approximately $500, by the time the Vet charge, the Disposal truck OR the Back hoe is hired. Now you tell me HOW MANY people are going to pay this to put down their one or maybe 5-6 horses? NO, they will simply stop taking care of them, give them away to someone who doesn't have a clue how to give proper care! There will be thousands of horses living on the edge of poverty!

OR they will be subjected to a long and very frightening journey to Mexico, where HUMANE isn't even a word or trucked all the way to Canada. U.S.. Federal plants have strict inspectors who are as concerned with anti-mortum as they are with post mortum handling.

OR you will have people shooting their own horses, not knowing exactly where the proper aim is and the horse suffers until they shoot them again! Or how about just cutting the throat, that is quick and simple. Maybe if we dismember the body we can get rid of it in a land fill somewhere!!

I hate to see useful horses go to slaughter, but there is not a Utopian home for every horse on this planet! Face reality folks! The PETA people are not going to come to your barn and take care of your horse--most of them advocate letting them run free, like the MINK they let loose and who immediately are killed on the road or die from neglect, because they can't find food!

Stop breeding so many horses -- that is where we need to begin!