[RC] Horse Slaughter - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Kim geckogal85@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

House Votes to Restore Federal Protections for America's Wild Horses

May 19, 2005

WASHINGTON, DC ? The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation?s
largest animal protection organization, is applauding Congress for passing the
Rahall-Whitfield amendment today in a landslide vote of 249-159 to restore the
34-year-old ban on the commercial sale and slaughter of wild free-roaming
horses and burros that was lifted in the closing days of the last Congressional
session.

?This is a huge victory for the animals, driven by an enormous outpouring of
public concern, and The Humane Society of the United States is grateful that
Congress acted to save our nation?s wild horses from the slaughterhouse,? said
Nancy Perry, vice president of government affairs for The HSUS.  ?These animals
are an integral part of our landscape and deserve to be treated with dignity
and compassion. We urge the Senate to follow suit.?

?The House has sided with horse protection over horse slaughter, ?said Wayne
Pacelle, president and C.E.O of The HSUS. ?Wild horses are majestic icons of
the West, and they should be treated with dignity and respect. We are
enormously grateful for the leadership of Nick Rahall (D-WV) and Ed Whitfield
(R-KY) in advocating for the horses.?

The amendment, attached to the Interior appropriations bill, was sponsored by
Nick Rahall (D-WV) and Ed Whitfield (R-KY) in response to stealth legislation
introduced by Senator Conrad Burns (R-MT) that gutted federal protections of
wild horses and passed with no hearing or debate as part of the Omnibus
Appropriations Bill.  The Burns amendment reversed longstanding federal policy
that banned wild horses from being sold at auction and subsequently shipped to
slaughter plants.

Since its passage, 41 wild horses were sold at auction by the Bureau of Land
Management and immediately sent to slaughter by the purchasers.

Protection for wild horses in the United States was originally mandated under
the 1971 Wild Free-Roaming Horse and Burro Act in response to the shootings of
hundreds of thousands of horses and burros and the slaughter of horses for pet
food and human consumption in Europe.