Re: [RC] Dog Attack! - Barbara McCrary

We have lost a few calves during the past 5 years or so. One year we lost four in one season, and we have only 60 mother cows. The predators could have been dogs, coyotes or mountain lion. This year, our daughter lost two goats from her little herd; the predator was a mountain lion, traced by his tracks and technique. If we caught a predator in the act, we could deal with that. Trouble is, much of the predation appears to be happening off-hours...either dawn or dusk.

Barbara

----- Original Message ----- From: "Truman Prevatt" <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Bruce Weary DC" <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 2:40 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Dog Attack!

When I was growing up in Western KY, the towns people used to take the dogs they didn't want to the "country" and turn them loose. They packed up and then would go after the calves. Many a night I sit out with the cattle waiting for a pack of dogs.

My grandfather had a name for them - "target practice."

The problem was not the dogs - they were doing what was natural to them and they had to eat. The problem as with most things came back to humans.

I assume the problems with packs of dogs and livestock today is probably as bad if not greater than it was when I was a kid.

Truman

Barbara McCrary wrote:

Why did I guess this story was going to end like it did? Could it be that Bruce has the most incredible capability for over-exaggeration. Or the funniest sense of humor? Naaawww! Couldn't be that.

Barbara

--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand Russell