Re: [RC] Dog attacks while riding - SandyDSA

In a message dated 4/12/2006 7:27:35 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, tref@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
This depends on what you mean by "attacked".  If a dog actually bites your
horse, I would get the owner's name and the dog's name and report them to
your county Health Dept as a dangerous animal possibly rabid.  In our
county, they are VERY concerned about rabies and go to considerable lengths
(for a government agency) to track down any/all biting dogs or humans
bitten by dogs.  The dog's owner should also be held liable for any
injuries.  BTW, most parks, even rural county ones, have restrictions on
loose dogs.
uh - this assumes that you are carrying a pad and pen on your horse, that the dog owner can be both found and identified (like, they are REALLY going to give you their ID?), and in addition, I for one am not about to wait until I - or my horse - gets bitten to do something about it.

Frankly, the dog does not have to be vicious to be a danger as I had learned when a "neighbor" where we used to live saw fit to allow her lab to run loose at every opportunity. We ended up in a bush more than once because that dog would come flying through creel crossings and jump on my mare's chest, run through her legs, snap at her nose - all the time with tail wagging. The owner? I knew her, reported her, and even told her MULTIPLE TIMES exactly who would be communicating with her if she didn't start putting her dog on a leash - she never listened until after two YEARS of this crap, Animal Control FINALLY had a talk with her. Yeah. Two YEARS. They tried to tell ME that the dog was not vicious,. I KNEW that part!!! Sheesh! It was STLIL a danger! So no, I am not going to wait to see if I can get an ID on either the dog or the owner - I will chase that pup and if it does leave me and my horse alone, pepper spray is available. After an attack by two loose German shepherds about a year ago...never again.

Lastly,
dog lovers, if you REALLY love your dogs, DON'T allow them to run lose! I don't know why this is such a tough concept to some people. If my horse kicks your loose dog - or God forbid, my CAR hits your loose dog - it is your fault, but we all are saddened/ Secure your loved ones, four legged and two legged.