Re: [RC] Braiding Manes - Barbara McCrary

While I'm sure WD-40 would work, I wouldn't like the smell and the fact that it is a petroleum distillate.  I use Show Sheen...spray it on the knots, wait about 5 minutes for penetration into the mane, then take a hoof pick and pick out the strands of hair, a few at a time.  Voila!  Untangled mane and silky to boot.  I have incredible patience for jobs like this.  I imagine this would work as well as WD-40 without the greasiness and smell.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 6:52 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Braiding Manes

Among all the 100's of other valuable uses...WD40 will help to get those knots out.  :))

I live on a farm, with a farmer...there is nothing that duct tape, wire and WD40 won't do. ;-)

Rae Callaway <tallcarabians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I braid all of mine, all the time.  Otherwise, I end up spending hours trying to keep all those manes untangled.  Dreadlocks have nothing on the knots & tangles my gang manages to get their manes in.

Rae

Jody Rogers-Buttram <dragnin100@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well, I am way too lazy to braid....so I pull or in some cases too lazy to pull....just wack it off.   Looks like crap for about 2 months....but then looks right.  I don't mean that I clip it off, just about 3 inches.  Right now Aries looks like an old Roman war horse, with the mane that sticks straight up.   All I need is the sword !!!   Joni won't let me near her horses...they have to have an Arab mane she thinks.

Jody

RDCARRIE@xxxxxxx wrote:
I never braid on training rides, and I live in SE Texas (think: sauna).  I figure they can do conditioning rides without braids and adapt to any excess heat that generates.  Then at rides I braid.  Although, my current horse has kind of a sparse, shortish mane.  :(  Poor guy is mane challenged.

Dawn in East Texas