Re: [RC] Not Hungry (was: losing weight...) - Barbara McCrary

I think you have something there. I believe I would eat less if I didn't have my husband to cook for. He puts in a long hard day's work, whether at the office or on the ranch, and he likes his three meals a day. And of course, I join him for breakfast and for dinner, lunch time, too when he's at home on the ranch. If I ate only when I was hungry, it would be better. I would also eat less regularly. Or if I didn't eat some of the things I love and ate only fruits and veggies. Oh, well, I just have to eat more carefully.

Barbara

----- Original Message ----- From: "k s swigart" <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 2:24 PM
Subject: [RC] Not Hungry (was: losing weight...)

Gloria Adams said:

Eventually, you will find (in desperation from hunger), in order to eat
more & not be hungry, you will pick the foods with lower fat as you
could eat more of them, get rid of hunger pain & still stay within your
calorie requirement.

This whole discussion on weight has been interesting and I do not agree with everything that everybody says; however, this one, I just cannot pass up because it is based on a fallacy. Most people do not eat because they are hungry, and certainly not hungry enough for it to cause pain.

People eat because everybody else is eating; people eat because they are bored; people eat because they want something to do with their hands or their mouths; people eat because the food tastes good; people eat because the food is in front of them; people eat because it is meal time.

In my experience, one great way to control your weight is simply (although not necessarily easily) to follow the maxim, "If you're not hungry, don't eat." It is difficult to become consciously aware of the reasons that you are eating, and that rarely ever do they have anything to do with being hungry. However, it is a good way to control your food intake. Honestly ask yourself, before every bite you take, "Am I doing this because I am hungry?" Chances are good, the answer is no. And if the answer is no, don't eat it.

And if you do this, you don't have to keep a diary, you don't have to follow fads, you don't have to count calories, you don't have to read labels, and you don't have to do mathematical calculations based on measurement in metric (which you aren't comfortable with anyway):).

We don't eat chocolate (or whatever your favorite food) because we are hungry, we eat chocolate because we like the way it tastes. And we keep eating it, long after it could provide the calories to satisfy any hunger (if the hunger even existed in the first place), because the taste is pleasant but fleeting, so to get it back you have to eat some more (despite the fact that persisting with it will serve no purpose in satisfying hunger and may actually make you feel unpleasantly "stuffed").

If, after you stop eating for all the other reasons that people eat and only eat when you are hungry and you still find yourself "overweight," THEN you can start concerning yourself over doing the math and obsessing about every calorie you eat and if you are doing enough work to use them.

But make no mistake, you are rare duck indeed if the only reason you eat is to satisfy hunger, and if you are normal American, you can probably count on your hands the number of times that you have been hungry enough for it to be painful.

I say this after having just eaten too big of a salad for lunch, and I will be unpleasantly over full for the rest of the afternoon. I didn't eat it because I was hungry. I ate it because I went out for lunch to celebrate a birthday with a group of friends, and it was there.

Controlling your intake is not about learning how to control your hunger or to not eat when you are hungry but rather learning hot to not eat when you are not hungry.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s. It is also true that exercise is an appetite suppressant (just ask your horse), so the best time to eat, if you want to control your intake, is IMMEDIATELY post exercise. If you eat then, you won't want to eat very much (because you won't be very hungry), but it will put something in your stomach for later, when the effects of exercise as an appetite suppressant have worn off, and the caloric requirement of the exercise would otherwise make you hungry.