[RC] Keeping a big mustang cool - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Char Antuzzi char.antuzzi@xxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Philip, Gali's owner is forever pounding it into my little brain
about "CORE TEMP's" and how they are different from surface
heat. A hot horse, one with a inner core temp rising is a horse
who's head is down, one whos not eating and one who will scare
you to death. I had a hot horse at Robinsons Flat on Tevis last
year. It was work for my crew to get that under control. There
isn't a lot you can do about it on Tevis but slow down and try
and ride smart. There isn't a lot of water and last year at
Tevis is was HOT. My horse went on to finish Tevis at 3am.

The trick is to keep that core temp under control
and its a heck of a lot easier to say how to do it, then to
really do it. I carry water, lots of water. I put it on Gali all
the time but I scrape it off. Water left standing on the horse
creates a insulation type of effect and the horse gets hotter
not colder. So yes put water on, but make darn sure you scrape
it off while going down the trail.

Last year on Tevis I got down the first canyon and I put Gali
in that river for about 5 min. Everything was soaked, my
saddle, the pads everything. That 5 min I took to get Gali cool
more then made up that time in coming back out of the caynon.
So one thing, take the time to keep that inner core DOWN! Learn to recognize
signs of a hot horse. I know sounds like a no brainer but you'd be surprised.
I'm not very knowledgable on
how the body breaks down glycogen, fats, etc, but I do know
that I use the BC2A product... (I get no support from them, its just a good
product and I see results).

I walk the hills, however I think this is more my horses idea
then mine. I've tried to speed him up the hills, but he's just
a lot smarter then I and he knows what he can and can't do. So I listen to
Gali, if he wants to walk the hills, okay he knows
best. If there is shade on the other side of the road, I get in
it. I trot very slow and steady and this strategy has gotten me
through many rides on a wonderful horse whom I love with all my
heart. Just ride smart and know again that you're probably not
going to win any rides riding this way, but you will most
likely finish and to me.. To Finish Is To Win, even coming in
last.

Char