[RC] Losing Weight Math Carolyn Burgess - Gloria Adams

Dear Carolyn,

I think you took the food example too literally.

If you ate 273 calories of (pick your favorite food), weighed 150# & walked 60 min at 2 mph, you would still not use up the 273 calories, you would only lose 189 calories.

That was just an example. You would have to obviously walk faster (or longer) than that to get rid of 273 calories. If you weighed 150# & walked 60 min at 4 mph, you would burn 351 calories.

The point I thought people would be interested in the basics of how this is calculated. If not, I apologize for the post, & I hope Steph deletes it, as it is obviously not useful.

Yes, exercise raises basal metabolic rate, but do you know how much in numbers? Do you have the actual equation for it (not a webpage link to some calculator’s “Activity Level”) so we all could calculate & know for sure, & factor that into our Resting Metabolic Rate? Please share it here.

The point is Carolyn, I tried to give the basic mathematical principles. Yes, there are more factors, but probably people do not even want to constantly calculate the equation I showed. It was an exercise to show the basic mathematics of calculating energy requirements.

My Grandmother (who is 103) walks faster than 2 mph.  When I walk, it is usually at 3.5 to 4 mph. And I wouldn't eat a Snickers bar. They are chocolate and chocolate is gross.”

Great for your 103 year old grandmother, you are very lucky. And, yes chocolate is gross.