[RC] My first 50 - that wasn't (LONG) - Sky Ranch

I went to my first AERC ride this past weekend, Color Country at Hurricane, Utah, and had such a GREAT time.  Thank you so much, to Marian, the RM, to Dave the vet, and to all the volunteers.  Everyone was so friendly, and helpful, it made the weekend very relaxing and fun.

My original plan, a few months ago, was to do my first 50, my first AERC ride, at Color Country.  It didn't turn out that way, though, because I hurt my knee 3 weeks ago and didn't ride at all in the last 3 weeks.  I knew there was no way I could do a 50.  I didn't even know for sure that I could even get ON my horse, but I decided to go ahead and make the trip and "wait and see" how I felt...  Naturally, it snowed about 3 inches on Thursday morning, slowing me down considerably -- I arrived late, late Thursday night, with the intention of riding the 25 on Friday.  But I missed the ride meeting, didn't know where the horse water was, and didn't feel settled in enough to attempt to ride, first thing Friday morning.  So I just went for a trail ride instead of competing.  Very gingerly mounted Top, my horse (MT Top Gun), with him standing in a ditch and me very, very carefully getting on -- I was really nervous about my knee.  But -- it didn't hurt!  I spent about 3 hours riding around, enjoying the gorgeous, gorgeous scenery and watching the riders going down the trails.  The great news, my knee was absolutely pain free while I rode, and I became more confident.

Saturday morning I decided to attempt the LD ride.  My horse was calm and relaxed (we did do 10 rides last year in NATRC, novice, so it wasn't brand new to him).  We went faster than I'm used to in the ctr rides, though -- we did the 12 mile loop in 2 hours 10 minutes (I know, to you experienced riders, that's NOT that fast (ha!), but it's faster than we're used to in competing).  When we came in to the vet check, Stacy offered to do a CRI right then, just to see where he was -- she checked his pulse and he was already down, we were cleared immediately!  Cool!  I was happy to hear that, I had felt Top was in good shape, even with 3 weeks "down" time, and even with his winter coat still on.  So we went to lunch, he ate and drank alright.  We had 30 minutes but I gave him an extra 15 minutes just so he could eat and drink more.

The second loop was 13 miles, and it went slower -- it was getting hot - at least to me!  And we had some sand washes to travel in, where I went slower.  At any rate, we barely made it in time, and checked out.  First LD completed!

Everyone was so courteous on the trail, I saw lots of smiles and people laughing all day.  If this is what AERC rides are going to be like, I'm one of the luckiest people in the world to be able to participate in the fun.  It will probably be a while before I'm in shape to do a 50, though -- I was very impressed with the quality of horses and riders I saw this weekend, and I know I'm "not there yet," in all honesty.  My horse could do a slow 50 now, I really have no doubt, if he had a better rider that was in better shape!  So I have my work cut out for me -- what am I saying, who am I fooling?  Work?  It's play time!

I'm so happy to be part of the AERC and NATRC families... I love horses and I love horse people.  Again, I send my heartfelt "thank you's" to everyone who put on this great ride!

Carla Richardson
Colorado