[RC] Reply to Elly - Kathleen

Title: Reply to Elly

Hey Elly,

Welcome to endurance riding!  I made a similar change to you in grad schooltired of showingwas a distance runnerthought endurance was a great way to combine horses and running in the limited time I had.  I have to warn you that was many, many, many  years ago and I have still never gotten my fill of endurance!  My family has actually given up hope that I will outgrow doing enduranceso considered yourself warnedyou are about to embark in an addictive hobby/sport!

As for breeds of horses and endurance, as you know Arabs excel but really any individual of any  breed that is well conditioned and paced according to their ability can participate and complete rides.  Your horses biggest problem will probably be heat as the breed is more heavily muscled, but since you are a runner you can alleviate some of that by getting off and running up hills etc.

I would recommend Sue and Dennis Summers as resources for using non traditional horses.  They have successfully campaigned some pretty large horses curlies and draft crosses.   Summers are very knowledgeable and are quite willing to share tips on using big horses in endurance.  I think their contact information is on the AERC web page or try posting to the PNER (Pacific Northwest Endurance Riders) message board to ask Sue a question.

Good-luck!  Enjoy your new horse!  And, in my experience (PNER) the endurance community is very friendly and supportive of each other and new riders.

Where are you located?

Kathleen

AERC#717