From: Diane Trefethen <tref@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Horses and Snow/Blizzards

Hi Lisa,
Since your mare handles either snow or wind but not both together AND
she
is getting worse each time, it sounds like she has a behavioural
problem,
not either an illness or a legitimate fear. As unpleasant as my
suggestion
is going to sound, it might be a way to break the cycle of "That's
upsetting", "I'm upset", "I'm so upset it is more upsetting", "I'm
really
upset now", etc. Prepare a place (if you don't have a ring) to work her
and when the next storm comes in, or right now if it is still blustery
and
snowing outside, go tack her up, and give her at least a one hour
lesson.
If she is in good shape and when you ride you usually go out for several

hours, then work her several hours. If she appears too dangerous to
ride,
free lunge her either for the allotted time or until she calms down
enough
to be ridable. Right now, as things stand, she is associating a snowy,
windy storm with only one thing - her own internal anxiety. If she has
more on her mind, it might help to break the cycle.
Good luck.
Diane