Re: [RC] mustangs--when to start? - Laney Humphrey

Hi Karla,
I'll first assume that you mean a BLM mustang rather than a Spanish Mustang. The reason that's important is that Spanish Mustangs are a breed with identifiable and predictable characteristics (at least as much as that's so with any breed). BLM mustangs are mixtures of many breeds. But, having said that, they are all just horses!
Some breeds traditionally get started sooner - Thoroughbreds, QHs, TWHs to name a few. Others get started a bit later - Arabians for example. In my opinion, no matter what the breed, if you want to give your horse the best opportunity to stay sound throughout a long life, later is better than sooner.
Having said that (I'm full of qualifications today!!!), there is nothing wrong and lots right with starting early doing ground work with any horse. There is a lot to be done with a horse without getting on its back.
In my opinion, there is little to be gained by starting to ride a 2 year old unless it's real use is in the breeding shed after a short & hopefully glorious career on the track or in the show arena.
Laney
PS For what it's worth, I own a Spanish Mustang that I started riding lightly when he was 3 1/2. I did not have his knees xrayed to see if they'd closed; if I'd known to do it, I probably would have & not ridden him until they had.

Karla Watson wrote:
_Mustang People:_ When do most of you start your young mustangs? (I mean start riding.) As a 2 yr old or 3 yr old? How long do they generally grow? Are they more like an Arab and take longer to fully mature or do they develop faster? Thanks!
------Karla Watson