[RC] camping and freezing - tracey smith

Well...speaking from someone who will be "tenting it" for some time to come...I get smarter every year on keeping warm.

Last year I invested in one of those Coleman Procat Tent heaters and I LOVE IT! It is designed for use inside a tent and has a blower motor that distributes the heat, or serves as a fan if you don't want heat. It works great but the only downfall is the small propane cans NEVER last the 6-8 hours they tell you they will and someone (always seems to be me) gets the pleasure of changing propane cans at 3 or 4 am!!  Well, hubby looked at my heater and has found an attachment that will allow me to run it on the larger BBQ grill tanks of propane so one tank will last a whole weekend!!  YIPPEE!

Well, my old sleeping bag bit the dust at a CTR the first weekend in December so for Christmas hubby got me a very nice new Coleman one that is rated well below freezing and is SUPER COMFY.  Used it the weekend of Frigid Digit (which lived up to its name this year) and it was great.

My tent also bit the dust the same weekend as the sleeping bag so I invested in a new, bigger one that I can actually STAND UP IN TO CHANGE...what a luxury. The weekend of Frigid Digit we had 3 women sleeping in there with two of the Coleman Procat heaters and it was quite cozy.

I have sometimes also camped in my bumper pull 2 horse if I am alone...but in the winter the metal (un-insulated) conducts cold...and it is unbearable in there if it's warm...so unless it is say, October...it's not a pleasant little casa.

But, if any of you who also sleep in tents have any suggestions for making them cozier, would love to see it....now just gotta figure out how to hook up an A/c as it's April in Texas...so that means summer will be here next week and last until November!

Tracey (happily tenting it as at least I get to ride)