[RC] tail (or rump) rubbing - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Kim Black blacks@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a horse that also rubs his rump, but there is a reason which may
interest others. He always rubs on the right side, and he carries his tail to
the left. The rub area often has heat in it. He carries more weight on the left
hind, placing that foot a bit more centrally when he strides, and there is a
little wobble in the left hock.  Jim Bryant DVM picked that up at Gallagher
Grit last year. He was the first person besides my farrier and my farm vet who
had noticed it.
I tried every concoction and wormer imaginable to get him to stop rubbing. He
would rub even in winter. My vet always suspected he had some nerve damage that
was causing tingling as the nerves re-ennervated.  This winter we found an area
of scar tissue or or fibrotic tissue deep in the muscle on the rump.  My vet
feels sure he had some muscle damage in the past, including nerve damage(he is
a rescue horse with unknown history).
So now he gets accupressure, deep massage and pummeling over the area to
stimulate circulation.  (He loves that) It flared up after 50 miles at our
first ride this season,Home on the Range, two weeks ago. The only topical that
helped at all is pure glycerin. The massage and plastic bags tied to all his
rub posts are much more effective! Good luck to everyone with the frustration
of rubbing issues! Kim Black and Smooth