RE: [RC] posting?? manes?? - Tracey Lomax

Dot wrote:

   If your horse is too fresh, too eager, too fast at the trot-----Let
the
horse's own drive push you up at each stride,  make the horse do the
work
of
lifting you out of the saddle for the post.   He will learn to back
off as
it's easier.

Personally, I *always* let the horse do that, I don't ever "rise"
myself.

  If the horse is slow, or lazy, or a bit green, lift yourself out of
the
saddle a triffle ahead of the horse's drive.    He will soon try to
"keep
up" with the encouragement, again as it is easier and feels better.

That's good advice if the person has sufficient feel to understand the
timing, otherwise what happens is that you get people rising too much.
I was always taught that you should imagine that you're riding in a pair
of jeans (don't laugh, my instructors were showjumpers or DQs who
couldn't imagine ACTUALLY riding in jeans :)) and although your bum
should rise out of the saddle, your pockets shouldn't.

Personally, I don't like pushing a green horse on, no matter how lazy it
seems, because it's so easy to push it out of its rhythm.  I'd rather it
went slowly in a rhythm than have it all over the place but slightly
faster.  As the horse becomes more balanced, and more underneath
himself, and his muscles develop over his back, he will naturally
develop a larger stride.

But then my "green" horses have all raced, so in my case "slow" is much
much better than "fast" :)

I prefer to use a dressage stick to teach a horse that "leg on" means
"forward".  They're not beaten (I apply leg, if no response, *tap*,
praise if they move forward).  But I also don't like to "nag" with my
leg.  Once they're moving forward at a pace / rhythm / tempo I like, I
leave them alone, only applying leg if they need it.

But then I'm just really lazy - now you know the REAL reason I don't do
endurance.

The only time I "fiddle" with my rise is when I'm trying to ride more
cadence into the trot - if you stay "up" for a fraction longer than
necessary, you encourage the horse to get more elevation and "lift" to
his trot.  You can't ever make an uncadenced horse truly cadenced, but
you can develop some cadence in a horse this way.  I don't "rise" ahead
of the movement, though, I just hold the elevation a split second
longer.  Hope that makes sense.

Oh, and don't try this on a green baby....very horrible feeling.

I don't like to post when trotting on crooked trails, rough or uneven
ground.  I believe it's easier for the horse if you are as still as
possible, off the back, standing in the stirrups.   Horse doesn't have
compensate for which diagonal your weight may be on, just the changing
ground under his feet.

Agree with you 100%.

Tracey