[RC] empty finish line. what could be worse - CTH

Kananaskis Alberta
We were riding in the back of the pack. One rider had lost a shoe and we waited for her. Took over an hour to get one put on. Sooo we were riding at the rear. I was in a knee brace (had surgery the next week) and it was cold , rainy sleet . Made it to the vet check and there was a note stuck on the tree. Wait here for 10 minutes and proceed to camp. Everyone had left.
To add insult  when we were called for our completion awards (it was my and my horses first 50 and my friends first 50) the ride manager made a point to complain that we took so long. (we finished in the allotted time)
My hubby was riding his 2nd 50.
We are experieinced in the mountians from pack and camping trips but that is no excuse for pulling out of a check. This was rough back country and it was the spot riders were told there was a radio in case of emergency (no cell phone coverage)
It was years ago and never has happened at a ride again. Just means that in reality when you are out on the trail you better be prepared to take care of yourself.
I always pack a small emergency kit
Paddi