[RC] diagonal nehance - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

Ed, the way I understand it, if I'm on my left diagonal, rising with the left
foreleg, then the right rear is doing all the work of pushing me up. I'm
especially careful to make sure I change often on a long grade.  I am so "left
sided" that I usually just change to my right. I ride awhile, then get on my
right, go a little farther, check and see that oops, somehow I got back on my
left so I change again to my  right. If my horse stumbles, I come up on the
left. If I ask my horse to trot, I cannot help but start posting on my left.
I have to start, then skip a beat if I want to start on the right.

So...post that left diagonal long enough, build up the right rear and left fore
and now you've got your saddle sitting crooked and saddle fitting problems.
What fun! I've ridden an experienced endurance horse that felt great on one
diagonal, and like it had a flat tire on the other. I guess its owner had never
changed.

I think being on the left diagonal too much is harder on the left fore too.
Though I really try to switch often, I have almost never had a horse show any
lameness on the Right fore. Every time I've had a vet say he thought my horse
might be a little off right fore I just automatically say, "Wanna make a bet?"
It's always the left. My left foot gets sore. My left leg gets shin splints. My
right buckle moves and the left never does.

I try really hard to watch for clues as to how to fix any unevenness. Josie
(that's my 15 year old daughter Mary) rides behind me and says I look even, but
when I post my left foot stays relaxed and the right goes out a little from the
horse. My left ankle has been broken before and may be less flexible. (non
horse related break, slid in to third base...I was safe) It seems that I feel
like my saddle is getting off center. I think it feels as if it drifts to the
right so maybe I'm actually pushing harder on my right stirrup (so why does the
bottom of the *left* foot feel sore?). When I measure my stirrups and get them
even, the left feels shorter. I try to make sure I feel both seat bones evenly
on the saddle, but the left leg feels drawn up even when I concentrate on
lengthening it.

P.S. This stuff only hurts in training. When my horse really levels out and
travels in competition nothing hurts. :-))

Any insight any of you dressage crossover people can give me would be
appreciated. There's just so darned much to think about! >g<

Angie McGhee
Wildwood GA

P.S. Mary, Melissa Crain is a very successful endurance rider who used to do a
lot of show jumping.