[RC] empty finish line - Ed Kilpatrick

well, i had just the opposite experience once and it is one of my best endurance ride memories.   i was the last one in at the ponce de leon pirate run a few years ago.  i had planned to ride the 50 miler, but made a last minute change to the 75 because we needed one more rider to fill the bill.
long story short, when i went out for the last 12 miles, i told everybody not to wait on me, do the awards and whatever else they had planned. instead, just about everybody in camp met me at the finish line!   cowboy ed