[RC] Boz Saddle - TypeF \(Jackie Floyd\)

Keeping in mind that everyone has their own opinion about everything :) and certain horses, saddles work for certain people while they don't work for someone else, I'll put my two cents in. And this is definitely not an advertisement, just my experience.

For me ... I'm happy with the two Boz saddles I own. One I had custom made, the other I purchased sight unseen used from Paddi Sprecher, 5 minutes after she put it up for sale on endurance.net classifieds. That, after having ridden my custom made one for several months.

My problem is I'm top heavy, er ... front heavy, and after having tried half a dozen different saddles, was still having a balance problem. Normally placed stirrups all tended to throw me forward. The forward stirrups on the Boz video looked like they might solve my problem. I must admit that taking a $3500 chance on having a saddle made based on what I saw on the video was a rather large chance, but it paid off for me. I'm quite comfortable in both the new and the old Boz saddles I own. I'm more comfortable in the old one as it has the open seat. My new one has the performance seat and is built up a bit in the back. My butt is "just" big enough that it makes it a little too small for me and I end up banging my thighs on the pommel if I'm riding James. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the slick forks.

And I am thoroughly convinced that the forward position of the saddle close to the horse's shoulders has saved my butt and that of a friend of mine many times over, riding James Dean, the whirling dirbish. Both of us have found ourselves without a horse under us several times as James as whirled away from something at cutting horse speed. Since the arrival of the Boz saddles, neither of us has been unseated. Could be a coincidence, but we both have felt the difference in stickability being further forward on the horse's back in such a situation.

The other thing I'm comfortable with is that I think it holds up to its advertisement that you can use it on just about any shape horse. None of my horses are shaped the same and so far, after three years and thousands of miles of conditioning and competition, I don't feel that I've ever had a back problem with the three horses that share these saddles. The foam panels seem to conform to the horse's back as I'm riding and if one was so inclined, one could have a separate set of foam panels for each horse you ride, and shave them here and there for a closer fit. I'm too lazy for that. Plus the foam panels are obscenely expensive. Boz's suggestion is that you replace them once a year. I don't think so ... I mean, I'm not poor, but sorry, not gonna do that. Maybe every three years :) I have used both a CoolBack pad and a Skito under my Boz.

:) Jackie
(and Tank, James Dean and Sorcerer, who would just like to get out of the mud, saddle or no!)