Re: [RC] [RC] Shagya ride - been outed ! - KimFue

You know I can see where Angie's original  post could be interpreted as having an edge to it.  I thought it did but as with everything written in  print it is subject to interpretation and that was my interpretation.  The first post about the championship ride was basically an announcement.  It didn't sound like the poster was looking for feedback on how to put on a championship ride.  But some of us (including myself) did find it necessary to jump in and give feedback on how this group sets up their championship.  I probably should not have done that and this wasn't even necessary as it is being held during/with a "sanctioned" AERC ride.  It's not like this breed club decided to "go it alone" without AERC input like the Santa Fe Trail race seems to be doing.

Another example as this thread progresses, is that when someone mentions his wife's horse wins 3 50s in a row last year.  It is used as an example to explain that the poster doesn't understand endurance.  Then goes on to immediately imply that the horse may not be around next year.  Just because a horse comes out and starts winning does not mean the horse was not prepared for the task.  A ride record does not tell the whole story.  Yet, that doesn't even seem to be considered a possibility any more than there may have been other reasons "why" this breed club decided to use the 25 mile distance as their championship the first year.

It seems that when unasked for feedback is given as is the case for this championship, it would be worthwhile to treat the topic with a little more sensitivity then was given.  This is why posts get intrepreted as being rude and then those that are offended come back with a post that has even a sharper edge.  If I was just following this thread we really come across like an intolerant group (which of course we are not) when it comes to differing ideas.  Even though I agree with what most of what Angie says, it really doesn't matter whether I am impressed with the Shagya 2006 champion, it doesn't matter whether I think there are better ways to promote distance riding in that breed club or the Shagya as an endurance breed.  It doesn't matter because I do not know the nuts and bolts of what may work for this club this year.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648