[RC] shagya ride-been outed! - Ed Kilpatrick

hi dennis, and welcome to ridecamp!   hope ya'll have good luck with your shagyas and your efforts to campaign, promote and award them appropriately.

this ridecamp crowd can be a bit direct at times.  most everybody on here means well, but sometimes they just arent the best at saying things in the most diplomatic way.  the gist of the matter is that this crowd is very concerned about horse welfare, and of course the definition of endurance is always a touchy subject.  you just happened to stumble into a subject unwittingly and set yourself up for immediate correction, intended for the benefit of the horses.  just remember to read for subject matter and glaze over the embellishments.
oh, you will get the occasional smarta$$ remark, but for the most part it is meant in good humor.    sometimes my wife accuses me of being a smarta$$, but i just tell her, take a good look at my face!   do i look like i could get smart with anyone?  but i also tell her, sure, i can be a smarta$$, but i am very honest about it, and will tell you upfront when i am doing it.  here is an example of "smarta$$, with a bit of humor":   "you know dennis,  shagyas might be really nice horses, and well suited for endurance, but they are not God's gift to the equine world!  HE did not create the shagya, then take a rib from it and make all other breeds of horses!"   :-)

now, here is an example of smarta$$, no humor, and a clear intention to insult:
"dennis, you %&#* idiot!   dont you know that 25 miles is NOT endurance!  how the &^%* do you expect anyone to take you seriously about those horses if you have an such a *&%#*& stupid award?"  (notice the abscense of the requisite "smiley")

now, we get into that gray area, that mysterious zone where a newcomer like you would be thoroughly confused as to the intent of the comment, an example:
"gee, dennis, that is all very interesting.  we just happen to have an opening on the horse welfare committee.  would you interested in serving?"

see the difference?   i sure hope this helps, because it took a lot of effort on my part.

well, again, welcome to ridecamp, where we love ALL horses, but will shoot loose dogs, AND their owners!

cowboy ed