RE: [RC] Shagya-bred horses' National Ride ! - heidi

Hello Angie,

Remember that I said I reviewed your posts...if it quacks, it's a duck. if
it's snotty and condescending, it's an Angie post on this subject. The only
proper response from anyone who cares a bit about new folks coming into the
sport of endurance should have been: Great! Hope you all have a good time,
and we're all looking forward to meeting you all!

<sigh>

Concerning horse welfare;  "WHY DO YOU HAVE VETS"...they don't need your
preride assistance. I explained the reasoning behind choosing the twenty five
mile distance...it's introductory. Open 100's are lucky to pull 5 teams. Your
follow up post to mine was so full of fecal matter that it was unbelievable.
The majority of the horse's will be walking and trotting. My closing advice
to you is drop the "holier than thou" defense of being snotty and
condescending. Try a little bit of well-wishing and hospitality, and let the
vets do there job...the vets will teach them.  Remember that every potential
endurance enthusiast is also a potential volunteer.

Dennis, it is NOT up to the vets to be in charge of horse
welfare--that's the rider's job.  Read the AERC rules.  Nor is it up to
the vets to teach the riders.  Indeed, good vets end up DOING a lot of
that--but from a veterinary standpoint, the idea of a 25-miler being
the "national championship" for a bunch of novice riders is REALLY
scary.

I applaud the ASAV's effort to showcase Shagyas in this sport--they
should.  But gee, it's tough to be "supportive" of people who fend off
good advice and well-meaning compliments about their breed as being
just so much "fecal matter."  Angie sure never lowered herself to
anything like that...

Heidi