Re: [RC] Gettr Shod - Lynne Glazer

Barabara--

In California, there is something called "allocated tips and commissions" that applies to waitstaff at restaurants. It is a payroll tax designed to account for the extra wages in tips. If the waiter is not making at least that percentage (which used to be 8%) they are taxed on money they aren't making!

So I *always* tip in restaurants--it's like sales people who are paid on a base plus commissions. The good ones do (and should) make more for the quality of their service.

My shoer gets a nice holiday gift and no tip. When I do computer work, I don't get tipped nor do I expect to, and it's nice to get holiday gifts from some of the clients, some of which I've serviced for 16 years or more. One thing that has always bugged me is the expectation of tipping for cleaning of a hotel room--on a cruise or something you have a personal relationship with the person performing your cabin service, maids in hotels are about as anonymous as it gets--it's not like the room rate is cheap?

Lynne
"it's a puzzlement"