Re: [RC] Lost Posse, US Rider, and wild weekends - Sharon Levasseur

Thanks for sharing your story with us.  :-)

Parsons? Proclamation:  Anyone can ride fast . . . it takes real endurance to
take over 8 hours to ride 50 miles!
Wow, I must be a real endurance rider then, I finished my first 50 in a blazing
11 hours and 53 minutes (9:53 ride time)!

-Sharon L. in Maine
www.zegifts.com

Quoting Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Please Reply to: Debbie Parsons sabalpalmfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I also spent last weekend enjoying the Lost Posse ride. The Fort Braden loop
was a blast and I managed to survive with my knees unscathed. Eclipse handled
the twists, turns, and ups and downs like a champ and was more surefooted
than I expected. I think he really got into that loop. I can?t wait to do
some mountain riding on him. My plan for the weekend was to do an 8+ hour 50
on Saturday and if all was well, repeat on Sunday. Eclipse is still in the
base building/brain training phase. So far, the previous 3 8+ hour 50s he did
had taught him he needs to eat and drink because "Mom" is crazy and may keep
him out all day. He?s been very strong and still has had plenty of go at the
end of the day. I hope to do a 100 on him next ride season as the 50s so far
have not impressed him much. All was going well until about 47 miles when we
found a pine tree root with our name on it. Eclipse did a big stumble at a
trot and came up off! ARRGHHH!!!! We slowed to a walk in hopes he had just
stung himself and would be OK. I had ridden most of the ride with Keith Bass
and we were having a great time. After a bit, Eclipse seemed to be doing OK
so I was hoping we had dodged the bullet. At the final vet check, our
trot-out was iffy. The vet completed the exam and had us trot again. No more
if . . . he was definitely off in the left front so no completion. Oh well.
We were in good company as at least 2 of my ride friends had also been pulled
at the end of the 50. I had a nice 50 mile training ride and at least it was
long enough to further reinforce the eat-drink-pee-relax lessons of the
previous 3 rides and I had another 50 miles of base building. Eclipse will
get some time off; he had some swelling in his left front tendon that I've
been icing and poulticing. It's looking good so I don?t think he did anything
serious to it but he'll get plenty of rest before throttling back for some
summer trail riding (this was the last FL ride until the fall). It was just
one of those things that happen. Must have been my blazing speed!

Alas, the fun did not stop there. On Sunday morning, I pulled out and stopped
at the first gas station. I saw I had a tire going flat on my horse trailer.
I added air and heard a hiss. There was a screw in the tire. No problem . . .
I had a spare and I can change a tire. Big problem . . . my tire iron fit the
RV lugs and was too big for the horse trailer. I hate calling for help when
it?s something I?m capable of handling! Fortunately, I have US Rider so I
called and waited for help. It took a while for the tire change guy to get
there but he quickly changed it and I was on my way again.

I got about 13 more miles when disaster struck. There was a soft muffled pop
like a backfire and I lost engine power. I coasted to the side of the road,
trying not to scream in dismay. I was 270 miles from home with a dead RV. I'd
had the fuel pump and fuel filter replaced back in October after some signs
my fuel pump was failing. I could smell gas; the engine would turn over but
not catch. I just knew I had a fuel line problem of some sort. I called US
Rider again; got the same representative on the phone. I think I almost had
poor Chinae crying with me by the time I finished my tale of woe. So much for
being calm, cool, and collected! I was definitely not any of these at this
point. She started working on getting someone out to help me. As it so
happens, my friend Cindy who is the only one in my town I've managed to drag
into the sport was at the ride and riding the 25 on Sunday. I called her cell
and got her voice mail. I called and left a voice mail with another friend
who was riding a 50. I was worried about missing Cindy as I knew she was
going to leave soon after finishing the ride. Since I didn?t know how long I
was going to be stuck, I really wanted to get Eclipse out of the trailer and
somewhere safe. He was pretty pumped up and raring to go again despite his
leg injury and was not standing in the trailer patiently. I then remembered
that the trail map handed out at registration contained the cell phone #s of
the ride managers. I called Susan and explained what had happened. She went
down and found Cindy getting ready to load up and leave so I was able to
arrange for Cindy to come by and take my horse on home. Eclipse was very
happy to load in Cindy?s trailer with his training buddy and I was happy that
he wasn?t stuck on the side of the road any longer. Susan also found someone
who would come and get my horse trailer and park it somewhere safe. That
would speed up getting my rig off from the side of the road. I told her that
once my RV was ready to be towed, I'd call and she could send her help my way
to get the trailer. Meanwhile, US Rider found someone who said he could fix
the RV where it was. Yeah right! I got a good laugh at that idea. It took a
while for John from J & J Towing to arrive as he went the wrong way first.
When he pulled up in a pickup truck, my heart sunk. How was he going to help
me? He didn't even have any tools! His tow truck was elsewhere in the county
but he had figured he could come out while he was waiting for the truck to
become available and see if he could find out what the problem was. I asked
if he was a magician since I didn't think it would be an easy fix. He looked
and crawled under the rig and had me turn the key a few times and then said
he had found the problem. The fuel line connecting to the fuel filter had
popped loose. With the use of one of my screwdrivers, he got the line and
clamp back in place and the truck started!! He WAS a magician!! I was back on
the road! He commented about how many calls he had recieved from US Rider to
make sure he was on his way and was impressed that they were so concerned. He
was even nice enough to call me about 30 mins later to make sure I was still
rolling. So if you ever need help in Tallahassee, John is the man!

As I was heading south, I suddenly realized I had given Cindy my horse but
had not given her his Coggins. You have to stop at the Ag inspection stations
in FL whenever you cross the Suwannee River and that was on the way home. I
called her and told her about the problem. She decided to play dumb and not
stop at the station. The Ag police came after her. In the end, after
explaining the sad tale and having her male police officer friend who had
come along for the weekend do the law enforcement secret ring
knocker/handshake thing, she was let go with the promise I?d have the
paperwork faxed to them when I stopped at the Ag station (we had traveled
different roads and I had already passed the turn to take the road she had).
The Ag guy at the station I stopped at was the one who was working on Friday
when I came through. He remembered me. I explained what had happened and that
I needed him to fax Eclipse?s Coggins to the other station to save my friend
and prove her tale was true. Thank goodness for Ag police with a sense of
humor! And I owe Cindy big time as this is now the 2nd time she?s rescued my
horses during a breakdown (the last time was in my hometown when I dropped my
drive shaft; another US Rider success story!). So not only do I have
misadventures, I manage to rub off on my friends as well!

This weekend rivaled my wild weekend from the Boy Scout Pow Wow ride in 2005.
At that ride, I ended up with 4 broken ribs after a crash around the 22 mile
mark, rode 20 more miles with those ribs, got pulled at 42 miles after my
horse slipped and strained a leg muscle, ran out of gas shy of a gas pump on
the way home, and found a bulge on my outer dually tire that kindly waited
until I was 10 miles from home before blowing out.  Sometimes you think you
would have better off to have just stayed home! Somewhere in this world,
there is someone living a very boring life as I seem to have more than my
share of excitement!

Thanks to the ride managers, vets, volunteers, and property owners at the
Lost Posse. I did have a good time, despite the turn of events and am looking
forward to next year. The Fort Braden loop alone is worth going.

Lessons learned from my Lost Posse weekend:
1.    Pine tree roots are EVIL and should be eliminated!!
2.    US Rider is the BEST! Don?t leave home without it!
3.    A 4-way ?x? lug wrench is on my weekend shopping list.
4.    Always make sure you have the ride manager?s cell phone # written down
(RMs: it?s great if you have emergency #s listed on any paperwork you hand
out at registration).
5.    Get your ride buddies? cell phone #s and load them into your phone. That
way if you have a problem, you can call for help as someone is likely to be
traveling the same way. I?ll be going around at my next ride adding to my
list!
6.    If you hand over your horse for someone to haul, don?t forget to give
them
the paperwork.
7.    John of J & J Towing is a magician!

See you on the trails!

Debbie
Plant City, FL
AERC #21342