Re: [RC] was red cells, now green cells - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 3/29/2006 8:04:39 PM Central Standard Time, whytrotfarms@xxxxxxxxx writes:

most of you probably want hay that looks green and fresh, but just how important is color in relation to nutrition?

Nutrition is more important to me.  We often get bahia hay from one of my husband's clients.  Some horses don't care for bahia, preferring coastal.  Ours will eat pretty much anything, and are absolutely crazy about the bahia.  We jokingly call it "Cook's Branch Gold" due to the source and the fact that they love it so much.  Bahia seldom retains that pretty green color that coastal hay often has...it tends to turn brown/yellowish within a day or two of being cut.  But it will keep our herd as fat as a bunch of pet ticks.  With coastal, if I saw some that was brown/dingy colored, I'd want to check into whether it was from previous years, had been rained on, left out in the sun too long, etc.  JMO

Dawn in East Texas