Re: [RC] Ulcers & salt - Carolyn Burgess

Angie:

Come to my house. My husband and I keep it at 74 in the winter.  We'd keep it warmer except we can't afford to heat the house in the winter higher than 74 (we are in Boston, don't ask, we hate it here in the cold northeast).  Even at 74, we have throws to cover ourselves with when we're on the sofa.  My husband is almost as bad as I am.  I tell people that there is no such thing as too warm a day.  I've been riding in a tank top on a 90+ degree day.  One of those little breezes will come up and I'll get goosebumps... on a 90 degree day.

I also don't like to salt my food. I like it OK on crackers, chips, etc. but I don't want a ton of it and I don't want it on my regular food.  I do drink electrolytes when exercising, but it is 2 bottle of water to 1 Gatorade.  I have low blood pressure (100/70) and a low resting pulse (can be 55 or less, depending on the situation).  I also get dizzy when I stand up, but that is if I'm not well hydrated.  Dizzyness to me means I need to drink.

And most americans are dehydrated on a regular basis.  I drink anywhere from 3 to 5 quarts of water on a regular day.  If I'm riding, it would be something like a quart an hour, depending on conditions.  If you're not peeing, your not drinking enough.

Carolyn Burgess

"rides2far@xxxxxxxx" <rides2far@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>I've often wondered if my lowish bp contributes to me getting sick during hot humid rides, etc. I *try* to stay hydrated, but I know I end up in a deficit (simply from how few times I pee). Don't know if a person's bp plays a part in how well they handle temp. >>>extremes or not.

Mine runs something like 110 over 60. I handle heat really well...have done the hottest rides witout ever feeling queezy or light headed...but I FREEZE at most people's houses. I like a fireplace where I can sit on the hearth and bake. I thought I was the coldest blooded person I knew till I met Jody. She wears like 4 layers *during* the ride! I usually start peeling them once we're riding hard and I warm up but she wore that much for 2 loops! She must have eaten more salt than I did...or maybe it was the matches. Hey Jody, did your mom tell you not to eat paper cause it was made with catapillar blood?

Angie

Carolyn Burgess
Email:
carolyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx