Re: [RC] Needle gauge - Barbara McCrary

The larger the number, the smaller the needle.  I use a 16 gauge on calves and a 14 gauge on my "Long Shot", which is a great tool for giving shots to cows in pasture.  It is a telescoping fiberglass rod with a hefty syringe on the end.  The medication is automatically ejected into the cow's muscle upon contact.  I can sneak up behind a cow while she is eating hay, jab her in a hindquarter muscle, and she has been vaccinated or treated before she knows what hit her.  Usually they jump a bit, thinking they must have been bitten by a large Yellowjacket.  This tool works for cows!  Don't think I would recommend it for horses.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 6:42 AM
Subject: [RC] Needle gauge

Just a quick question - not sure how needle size works and I'm wondering if 18g is smaller than 20g (I think its the opposite, right? 18g is bigger). I don't have both types to compare. Is there something smaller than both of these that is generally available?
Thanks,
Lysane

Have a question? Yahoo! Canada Answers. Go to Yahoo! Canada Answers