Re: [RC] elytes redux - Truman Prevatt

Trailering is stressful and in the summer it can be hot. Both can cause losses of electrolytes. I routinely have loose salt around the barn. They will go through quite a bit - even in the winter.

In the dog days of August where horses are sitting under the tree dripping sweat with no other exercise than breathing in the Gulf coast heat/humidity I will add a balanced electrolyte to their feed. There are few vets that are treating horses that become anhydrous in the late summer around here with high dosages of balanced electrolytes based on the theory that they horses stop sweating to preserve electrolytes which are critical for the life processes. These are horses that sweat normally all other times. I've even know an endurance horse or two that would develop this problem. The electrolytes seem to help.

Truman

Sisu West Ranch wrote:

"...give lytes on the worst of days to prevent deficits in advance of a ride..."

Some folk routinely put common salt (or even 'lyte mix) into their horses feed. Everyone I know has a salt block, or loose salt in the pasture.

Remember trailering is not like the rest of the days. Mine drink less, some drink not at all. They can't lick their salt block. They eat hay instead of grass. It is hot and has poor ventilation. The list goes on and on

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx

--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand Russell