RE: [RC] Suspicious response to ad - Horse Address

Be careful about giving your personal information to these folks.  This is the classic internet scam, where you have a third party inquirning for an off continent buyer, who say they will pay by cashiers check.  They will tell you they will pay you excessive thousands of dollars in the cashiers check, and ask you to send them a cashiers check (or some other equivalent) for the balance - all to purchase "the item".  What happens is they send you a bad cashiers check, that is worthless, and by the time you figure it out, and your bank notifies you that the check is a bad, you've already sent them a good check, and are now out the money.  It's a win-win for the bad guys - and you have zero recourse.  Another huge giveaway is the poor english.  I've received hundreds over the years.  Some are pretty amusing.

Be aware.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: 3/27/2006 5:18:04 AM
Subject: [RC] Suspicious response to ad

I've received lots of responses so far to my ad in the classifieds (which is fantastic, so glad I used endurance.net!!)...but one or two that seem a little "iffy". When a person talks about "their client" being very interesting, wanting "the item" right away (but they never name the item or ask any more detailed questions, the way everyone else has), talking about a shipping agent picking up the item, and writing in poor English....seems to me to read "scam" all over it...What do you think?
They have talked about making payment by certified cheque or money order and want my name (which they have on my e-mail anyway) and address. So far, no talk of extra money or fees, but...
I've responded by asking some specific questions that only someone who has some knowledge of horse and saddles would know the answer to. I'm thinking of avoiding this one completely...

Lysane