Re: [RC] Ol' Time E'olytes - Truman Prevatt

The first place I heard about electrolytes was from Kerry Ridgeway at a clinic in FL. It was a two day clinic and over dinner Kerry commented that in the early days he was involved in the sport (probably the 60's) there were quite a few deaths. He made a statement to the effect he was so turned off by his first experience with endurance, which was the Tevis, that he never wanted to see another ride. He was convinced to stay in and try to change it and I he worked for years in doing so.

All I know was when I started we had a whole hell of a lot more treatments compared to the number of starters than we do today. I suspect one of the reasons is effective use of electrolytes and better vetting. As Otis has said - these are the "good old days" in endurance riding.

Truman

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:

OK, just remeniscing. I could swear that when I read my first article on
electrolytes, it was written by Kerry Ridgeway and he came up with the
idea of dosing them after watching *yet another* horse die at Tevis. So,
in all fairness would you say the death rate is the same?  I realize
we've learned to be safer, vets have learned to use the CRI, etc. etc.
but I do believe that was what the article said.

Angie

--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand Russell