From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mary Ann Spencer
Sent: 25 March 2006 05:51 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] FYI info African Horse sickness Feb 06

(I get international public health updates)

1.1.1           USEUCOM

1.1.1.1        African horsesickness outbreak in South Africa

21 March – The Horse.com reported that South African horse owners and veterinarians are managing an outbreak of African horsesickness (AHS) in the George area, which is in southern South Africa (in the southeast region of the Western Cape). As of Feb. 28, 13 horses had died. Current outbreaks are not expected to affect the predicted removal of a European Union export ban on South African horses, as the outbreaks are at least 400 km (almost 250 miles) away from the country's "AHS-free zone," which is the metropolitan area of Cape Town at the southwestern tip of the nation.  View Article

at this link:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8604545&dopt=Abstract

another link at horse.com

http://www.thehorse.com/viewarticle.aspx?ID=6696