[RC] Literature on Comparative Saddle Measurements - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Dave Neff paralegal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Ridecamp members,
It is most interesting to read the posts on Ridecamp and I have learnt a great
deal from all the knowledgable contributors but there are a few references
which are commonly used that I do not fully understand and as much as I read I
cannot determine the meaning of some of these and this leaves me at a loss when
I wish to purchase saddles advertised in the clasifieds. Could somebody please
e-mail me some authoratative literature which describes in detail the different
measurement terms (possibly glossary included) with which I can compare sizes
of saddles internationally. example the reason why, in USA, tree sizes are
refered to as being arab treed,full quarter horse or semi quarterhorse barred
and what these terms refer to. Is it bar length or angles or both? can a saddle
with iether semi or full QH bars have varying gullet widths or are they
specific to either of these? Are there specific angles for the different terms
ie arab, full or semi QH? which is the widest? I have tried requesting this
information from some of the, "off the shelf saddle" suppliers but I have yet
to receive any literature clarifying these issues. Could someone also explain
to me why these saddle makers would make their saddles in only one of these and
not in the other sizes is it because there are very few Arabian horse bred with
prominent withers yet broad shoulders, destinctive saddle area  and relatively
flat backs the way we breed them here in South Africa. Even though these "Off
The shelf" saddles are refered to as low priced in USA, due to the R/$ exchange
rate and import duties, it is relatively costly to acquire one of them in SA so
in order to ensure that I do not make uncorrectable errors when purchasing I
would Like to be absolutely sure that I know the exact meaning of the terms
used when saddles are advertised. Sorry for being so verbous just like to make
sure that I do not cause more confusion. Thanks in anticipation for your, as
allways, helpfullness.

Best riding regards,
dave