Fwd: [RC] Low Tech and electrolytes - RDCARRIE

I think this may have not gotten posted...

Dawn
--- Begin Message --- In a message dated 3/23/2006 2:24:43 PM Central Standard Time, rides2far@xxxxxxxx writes:

P.S. One thing I watch for is urination. Seems that if you give too many
electrolytes your horse urinates more often. If he just goes once in a
50, I'm happy. If he starts going more often later in a 100 I'll back
off.  I remember someone out there talking about their electrolyting
protocol and mentioning her horse urinating an awful lot at a ride and I
wondered if since the humidity was low he wasn't just peeing those
electrolytes out.

My horse pees a lot...but then, he eats a ton of soaked beet pulp and drinks a ton of water in camp and during the ride.  His pee will be clear as water, perhaps having a light yellow tinge by the end of a 50.  It's the same as us...if we're well hydrated, the rule of thumb is we should pee about once an hour and it should be fairly clear.  If *my* horse only peed once during a 50, I'd be damn worried!!!  That would tell me that he's woefully dehydrated and his body is trying to hold on to every bit of fluid, and I don't care what the little letters on his vet card say.  If he's well-hydrated, he should be peeing periodically.

Dawn in East Texas

--- End Message ---